Saturday, April 25, 2020

Day #44 - AT Hike

Saturday, April 25 - Day #44 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 0
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 545.2/2,193 (24.86%)

Pearisburg - Plaza Motel. (4th Zero of trip)

Total States Completed - 1/14

** Rain Day

Today was an excellent day for a Zero. It’s been raining most of the day - windy and cold - thunderstorms expected tonight.

I got up about 10am and have been laying around 90% of the day. I’m taking being lazy to a new level. The only time I went outside was to cross the street and walk through the Dairy Queen drive through for lunch. Dinner was pizza delivery and some Gatorade.

I really did need a day off my feet. I’m treating today like a day before a marathon - only standing/walking if it’s absolutely necessary. You know how you can check your steps on your phone - usually you’ll have over a mile or so just from basic daily routines - my total today was 0.39 miles - impressively low!

I honestly didn’t spend as much time planning today as previous off days. I know I want to target my next Zero for Waynesboro, VA at Mile 864.3 — but, how I get there will be based on how I feel, the weather, and trail conditions. I’ve found that it’s silly to project daily mileages - I usually adjust on the fly anyway. It’s pretty simple for the next 9 weeks - I’d like to go 16-17 miles daily on average. That will get me close to my projections leading into the hike. As of today - I’m at 545.2 miles - I had hoped to be at 555 (so 10 miles light). Not too shabby - I’m still right where I want to be. I’ll make up that 10 miles with time.

So - 228 miles to Waynesboro, VA. The next 400 miles (northern Virginia, Maryland, and Southern Pennsylvania) are widely considered the “easiest” miles of the AT Trek. Just like no marathon or 14,000’ mountain climb is ever “easy” - in relative terms - hopefully I can take advantage of this stretch.

It was great to talk with family today.  I’ll take that extra inspiration with me as I get it rolling again tomorrow.

Here’s to good health & happiness. Goodnight from southwestern Virginia.


Great day for a Zero - cold/rainy

Walking through DQ drive through


Snacks for upcoming 6 days

No comments:

Post a Comment