Monday, April 13, 2020

Day #31 - AT Hike

Day # 31 - AT Hike

Sunday, April 12 - Day #31 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 16.0
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 369.6/2,193 (16.85%)

Iron Mountain Shelter to Abingdon Gap Shelter - tent at Abingdon Gap Shelter

Total ascent - 2,821’
Total descent - 3,032’

Total States Completed - 1/14

Well - I was able to get to the shelter before the really big rain hit.  It’s 5:45pm - and I’m huddled under the shelter roofing.  I have my tent up with all my gear inside - just waiting to go in for the night. Extremely cool thing - I ran into Maddy (Downhill), Pepper, Cascade & Pan early this morning at their stealth campsite.  I got up early and had about 7 miles in by 9am. It was fantastic to see those guys.  We went back and forth all day on trail - and they are staying at the same shelter as me tonight.  It’s a real boost of energy to finally see some folks and be able to talk.  We got to the shelter around 2:30pm and have been talking since then.

Due to the heavy rains and winds expected - at one point today, I was going to just go for Damascus.  It would have been a 26 mile effort.  I think I had it in me - but my feet are just hurting really bad.  With slick, wet, cold conditions- I didn’t want to push it.

It’s probably upper 30’s to low 40’s in temperature - again very dangerous conditions where hypothermia can set in. I’m mostly dry now - but I don’t know what’s going to happen with my tent.  I’m probably in for a brutal night with winds and cold.  I might be regretting not going the 26 today - but I felt it was risking injury to do it.  Once I’m really tired - I tend to not pick up my feet as high - resulting in me tripping over every rock, limb, and root.

It’s likely going to be a freezing cold 10 miles in the morning. I hope to be safe and take it slow.  Then - I’ll have a couple nights in a warm bed.  I know the hot weather brings bad stuff with it - mosquitoes, ticks, bears, snakes, heat exhaustion, etc —— but just a streak of 60’s- 70’s would do me some good right now.

I hope everyone had a great Easter.  Looking forward to coming to you with lifted spirits tomorrow night.

The blue blazes are side trails off AT - often leading to water source

The trail went through this farmland

Early morning sunrise

Another farmland pic

The trail goes all over the place


Early morning views

Uphill stretch

Took this from a concrete bench set atop this farmland

Water source 

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you’re able to continue your hike during the shutdowns.

    ReplyDelete