Sunday, April 26, 2020

Day #45 - AT Hike

Sunday, April 26 - Day #45 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 14.4
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 559.6/2,193 (25.52%)

Pearisburg - Plaza Motel (636.1) to Tentsite (650.5) - camp

Total ascent - 3,586’
Total descent - 2,119’

Total States Completed - 1/14

** Rain Day

A really tough one out there today. My body is revolting against me. Off days are good - but for whatever reason - my body must think its completed it’s work when it has that rest - and when I start up again - my body becomes very angry.

Specifically - on Friday coming into Pearisburg, I had a different feeling in my calf I haven’t felt since I’ve been out here. To this point - my pain has been concentrated on the lower calf right above the ankle (center-cut).  It hurt primarily when I was climbing steep slopes - but not so much pain any other time.  It was bothersome - but I was never “extremely” worried.

The pain I’m experiencing now is much higher - on the inner portion of my left calf - just off the main bone in my lower leg.  I felt a knot there on Friday.  I had hoped being off my feet for 36 hours would help. Today - this pain came back and was consistent on every step.  This is very concerning for me right now. Concerning enough that I went 2-1/2 miles less than I had planned today - and I went crazy slow. I was out there for 9 hours or so for a little over 14 miles.

It’s 8pm now - I’m in my tent. Really cold tonight and raining. (Did I ever mention that I’m not a fan of cold, wet days?). I just took part in a conference call for my Everest Trip in October. Still so many unknowns to make a definitive call at this point. Sounds like it’s still on - we have until July 1st to lock in.

I’m feeling pretty down right now. I’m freezing, I’m very scared about my leg, I didn’t eat dinner (just a couple candy bars) because I was too cold to sit outside and didn’t want to cook in my tent (because this is supposedly a big bear area), and I’m all alone.

You know - sometimes you just need to go to bed, cut your losses, and pray for good things to come your way tomorrow. I just took 3 ibuprofen (only the 4th time on the whole trip I took ibuprofen- if that gives you an idea of how I feel right now)

Here’s to some sun, some good health - and a little positivity to come my way tomorrow.

Take care out there!

Rainy morning 

Late afternoon 

Had to walk 1-mile back to AT trail this morning 

Clouds rolling in

Things are getting green

More afternoon views

No comments:

Post a Comment