Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Day #269 - Orvieto & Arezzo, Italy

Umbria valley - viewed from the hilltop town of Orvieto

The Duomo in Orvieto - see the black and white sides

The Duomo


Basilica of San Francesco in Arezzo


The Legend of the True Cross - Arezzo, Italy


Wednesday, December 8th


Today I visited 2 more smaller towns in central Italy: Orvieto and Arezzo. Manipulating the transportation system to gain access to these places has been a real challenge. It's good though. I'm starting to get pretty comfortable with the railways in Italy. Departure boards are located throughout the terminals so I can do my own research. They also have computers which can help determine routes as well when considering transfers.


My first stop this morning was the town of Arezzo. It's located about 50 miles south of Florence. It was pouring rain on my arrival - so I made quick tracks to my destinations. The town is laid out very well and is easy to get around. I walked straight ahead from the train station to the Basilica of San Francesco. Interesting church - smack in the middle of town. The main draw is the series of frescoes painted by Piero dellas Francesca depicting the Legend of the True Cross. This legend states that a branch from the Tree of Life was planted on Adam's grave (Garden of Eden - Adam & Eve). The branch took root and was eventually used to make the cross on which Jesus was crucified.


Another interesting thing about Arezzo is that each year in late August and early September, it holds a Jousting Tournament. An elaborate procession winds through the cobblestone streets before the events. That would be a cool thing to see -- next time.


My second and final stop of the day was the town of Orvieto. Excellent. Once you depart the train, you take this funicular car up the mountain slope to the elevated town. I first stepped out and walked into this garden area with views over the valley below. I got some great pictures from this location. I then moseyed into town along the cobblestone streets, lined with shops and cafes. There were a number of tourists out today - a bit surprising to me. I made my way to the Duomo - the big church in town. This place looked like an over-sized zebra, with black and white colored bricks. The inside looked the same. Unique. Its claim to fame is the frescoes portraying the end of the world. Begun in 1447 and completed in 1503, these are thought to be the inspiration for Michelangelo's "Last Judgment" in the Sistine Chapel in Rome.


A couple of other interesting things I'm reading about Orvieto: 1) It's one of 3 cities outside Rome to have papal palaces (Viterbo, Avignon). Adrian IV was the first pope to spend significant time in Orvieto. 2) It has an underground city filled with secret tunnels and passageways. They're only open for guided tours.


I took a 3-train combination to get back to Assisi just shy of 7pm. I'll be heading to the eastern side of the country tomorrow. I'll be viewing the Adriatic Sea from its western front - having already seen the eastern half during my visits to Croatia, Bosnia, and Montenegro.


I forgot to mention that the place I'm staying currently is pretty great. On arrival, they gave me this audio phone and several books on Assisi (It's just like the audio guides you get in various museums. You just press a number and listen.) I've never been given anything this impressive at any other hotel I've ever stayed. And - this place is not some fancy, 5-star hotel. It's a modest place - but appears to be customer-service friendly. That's why I picked it.


Tomorrow - do something that scares you. Anything. It doesn't have to be crazy - just something that makes you a little uncomfortable. Eat something different, talk to somebody you normally wouldn't, go walk around the subdivision when you're tired. Just do it. Push your limits - you don't even know what your capable of until you try. Good night from Tuscany.

No comments:

Post a Comment