Thursday, December 16, 2010

Day #277 - Baden-Baden, Germany

Baden-Baden

Snowy streets

View in front of Thermal Pools


Christmas in B&B


Quiet streets

Thursday, December 16th


I took a train out of Munich today for Baden-Baden, Germany. This is the place where I spent my birthday - in the Black Forest. The town lies on the Germany/France border. Since I really enjoyed the area on my initial visit, I thought it would be a good stopping point before heading into France.


I actually got into town earlier than I had anticipated - arriving around 2:30pm. I dropped my gear at the hotel and went out for a run. Snowing - unbelievable atmosphere. (I realize I continue to use similar descriptions - just can't help it. Again, I'm able to appreciate smaller things more this year than ever before. While working - I would have hardly noticed the snow - unless it slowed me down on the roads.)


I don't know if there is a more peaceful and relaxing town than Baden-Baden. It's not the party capital of Europe - but that's not why you would come here. After my run, I hit one of the pools. Then, had a sit-down dinner. I'm back in my hotel now. Tomorrow night, I have plans to meet up with Rick and Dagmar - the couple I had dinner with during my initial visit into town. This should be alot of fun - look forward to it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - we're getting into the tough portion of my rankings. The country coming in as my #8 most favorite country on my Gap Year 2010 is: AUSTRIA

Israel (#12)
Iceland (#11)
Norway (#10)
Greece (#9)
Austria (#8)


AUSTRIA (#8)
The Alps - the fact that Austria has some of the most scenic countryside in the world goes a long way with why I'm placing it in my list. I spent minimal days here - but enjoyed my time immensely and would easily come back. I travelled across the country after leaving Zurich, Switzerland to my final destination of Vienna. I first came to Bregenz - an awesome small city on Lake Constance (one of the big recreational lakes bordering Germany, Austria, and Switzerland). I then had a day in Innsbruck - home to the Winter Olympics and a great skiing destination. Next, came Salzburg --- Mozart and "The Sound of Music". I really enjoyed this town. Finally, there is Vienna. This is one of the most under-appreciated cities in Europe in my opinion. The architecture, amazing buildings -- it really is a great place. Maybe it doesn't have the 1 big drawcard (like the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, or Vatican City), but the consistent quality was the feature I was most impressed with. Sum it all up -- Austria comes in as the #8th most favorite country on my journey.

1 comment:

  1. Simply beautiful! Enjoy the final days with the snow and holiday spirit in Europe.

    ReplyDelete