Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day #265 - Pompeii & Sorrento, Italy

Christmas season - Sorrento, Italy

View from cliffs of Sorrento

Huge Christmas Tree - Streets of Sorrento


Pompeii - notes on 79AD Eruption


Ruins of Pompeii


Mt. Vesuvius - through Archway


Cast of human body found in the ashes

Saturday, December 4th


Great day today! I got out of Rome early. I took a 7:27am train down to Naples - arrivng at 9:30am. I then took a connector train south for 30 minutes to Pompeii, Italy.


Pompeii --- On the 24th of August in 79AD, Mt. Vesuvius erupted to bury the city of Pompeii under 20ft of ash. It was rediscovered in the 16th century, but exploration did not begin until 1748 under King of Naples Charles III of Bourbon. Excavation, restoration, and enhancement of the ancient city has continued through today - where it is still an active archeological site.


Much of the items found in Pompeii have been relocated to the Archeological Museum in Naples. However, the ancient city is still a very impressive place to visit. Located only a couple hundred meters from the train station, Pompeii extends for approximately 66 ha. - of which roughly 45 ha. has been excavated.


The big deal with Pompeii - it's ancient. The origins of the city are uncertain; however, the oldest reports date from the end of the 7th century BC. As I explored the area, there were cages filled with old pottery, they had made casts of human bodies that were found under the ash, there was a theatre, a colisseum, many homes, baths, etc. I walked around the site for 2 hours. I was given an informational booklet with my entrance fee (11 euro). This was satisfactory to tell me everything I needed to know. I got this great picture (see above), looking at Mt. Vesuvius through one of the arches in the city. Great spot to visit.

I had some lunch and then continued south to the city of Sorrento, Italy. Sorrento is located on the Amalfi Coast. I'll be spending the next 2 nights here as I explore the coastline further. I don't want to get too crazy just yet, as I've only been here for 1/2 day, but this place is EXCEPTIONAL! This might be one of my favorite spots in Italy. The town is pristine and scenic. Once out of the train station, it's a 50 meter walk to the main street - which stretches maybe a mile through the city. It's lined with small shops, cafes, and outdoor heated restaurants. In the middle of town, in the central square, is this huge Christmas tree. The entire street is lined with Christmas lights and decorations. Everything is in its place - neat, organized.


I took a short detour off the main drag, to find the oceanfront. There are several areas where you can look out over the water. Whoa! This was great. Atmosphere - atmoshpere --- this place has it - for sure.


I've got the trip for you next year at this time. If you have a week's vacation, get a flight into Rome. See the culture and unbelievable sites of this city - with no heat and no lines. Make sure you're there on Wednesday if you have a desire to see the Pope. Sleep in - no need to get to St. Peter's Square too early - you'll have the place to yourself. Then, take the train to Naples (don't go into the city) and connect to Pompeii - then down to Sorrento. Spend a couple days on the Amalfi Coast - Christmas shopping, taking day breaks with hot tea/pastries, and spending the nights strolling the streets after a couple glasses of wine. If you're heading to Florence, Tuscany, or northern Italy - I'd book this trip mid October or earlier. Rome and southern Italy -- I think this time works just fine. With the money you can save on cheaper hotels -- buy more presents.


Tomorrow I'll explore more of the coast. I'll see if I jumped the gun on my feelings about this place. Goodnight from the southern Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment