Monday, December 6, 2010

Day #267 - Sorrento to Rome

Main street in Sorrento

Central Square

Awesome buildings


Christmas in Sorrento

Monday, December 6th


Today was an odd day. Things didn't work out so well with the trains - so I ended up spending alot of time sitting around.


I took the train out of Sorrento to Naples - arriving around noon. All was well. I was then set to connect into Rome - arriving at 3pm. My 12:30pm train showed a delay of 10 minutes. No worries. I waited, waited -- it was now 12:50pm. Then, the board showed a 25 minute delay. I waited, waited -- it was 1:05. Then, the board showed a 40 minute delay. At this point, they did put up a Platform number. I decided to go sit on the train and wait in comfort.


I was sitting in this car with an older Italian couple. They were fiercely arguing with each other. It was entertaining. I couldn't understand a word - but I enjoyed it. After about 45 minutes of sitting around, everyone on the train was looking around trying to figure out our scenario. I got off the train and noticed that all the connections into Rome where on a delay. This was really odd. If it was all locations - there could be something up with the weather, etc. This was not the case. If it was a single line - maybe something happened on that rail. This was not the case either. I still don't know what went down in Rome which forced such delays.


All I know - I finally departed the Naples station at 3:45pm. This was 4 hours after my arrival. I ended up getting into Rome near 7pm. I walked around the streets by the station until I found a hotel that met my pricing conditions. I'm here now - planning a strategy for tomorrow.


Here's to 'no delays' tomorrow. Posting more pictures of Sorrento to set a Christmas tone. Most towns in Italy formerly unleash the decorations either on Dec. 6th (St. Nick's Day) or Dec. 8th (Immaculate Conception).

No comments:

Post a Comment