Friday, November 19, 2010

Day #249 - Chernivtsi, Ukraine to Bucharest, Romania

Thursday, November 18th



Up at 6am. I then took a taxi back to the bus station for a 7:10am departure - returning to Suceava, Romania. Poor performance in Ukraine - but, it is what it is. Tired, massive language barrier, and unspectacular sites in my nearest vacinity -- led me to my decision to call it an early night. I'm sure the town had some nice places if I would have ventured out more. Next time.



My bus arrived into Suceava near 11am. We were delayed on the border for 1-1/2 hours. Complete bag check of everyone's gear. The former Soviet states and territories have easily the most difficult border crossings in all of Europe. For the most part, you may not even know you have crossed a border in western Europe.



In Suceava, I took the city bus to the central train station. My goal was to get to Belgrade, Serbia. I had this worked out from a previous agent in Bucharest but I couldn't get the same schedule. After a 30-minute communication session (which could have been taped and submitted to world's funniest videos) - I had my itinerary.



I boarded a 1:13pm train back to Bucharest - arriving at 8:30pm. I have no idea why I had to make this trip - as it is out of the way. But, it was the best option avialable to me. On arrival into Bucharest, I had to transfer to a 9:05pm train to Belgrade. I hurried to a McDonalds as I have not checked email in 2 days. Their service was down. (Apologize about the delays).



I'm writing this blog in my notebook at 11pm on Thursday, Nov. 18th - on a train bound for Belgrade, Serbia. I'm somewhere in Romania - no idea where. I'm set to arrive in Belgrade around 8:30am. I then have 1 more train to get to the ocean (Bar, Montenegro).



Why am I traveling in such obscure locations? I had a goal set that I wanted to see all of Europe. I wanted to see the 'high points', but wanted to get a feel for everything. This includes war-torn areas such as Serbia, and former Soviet states such as Ukraine.



It's been an adventure -- but I can almost smell the wine from Italy right now. Until next time, good night from 'the road less travelled'.

No comments:

Post a Comment