Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day #241 - Thessaloniki, Greece to Sofia, Bulgaria

Thessaloniki, Greece

Walking around some side roads

Some older buildings around the train station


Wednesday, November 10th


I'm coming to you live from a train bound for --- well, somewhere. I honestly don't know if I'm in Bulgaria or Romania. There's really no way for me to tell. My hopes are that this baby brings me to Bucharest, Romania later tonight.


Have you ever driven on a dirt/gravel country road on a clear, dry day - a few days after a rainy period when tractors were extensively using the same road. The tractors create little ruts in the wet road - continuous bumps from their heavy wheels. When you drive this same road days later, you think your car might fall apart because of the constant juggling. Well - that is exactly how this train feels about right now. "Buckle up, baby, it's a bumpy ride" - Bon Jovi. I should save this piece of pater I'm writing on - nobody could make out this chicken scratch but me (and that's not easy).


The past couple days have been travel intensive. I headed out of Kalambaka, Greece (Meteora) at 7:44am on Wednedsay morning - headed north to Thessaloniki, Greece. I arrived at 10:45am. I spent the afternoon in Thessaloniki. Most of this time, I was bellied up in a cafe working on some planning. I walked the streets for a little while - but I wasn't feeling it. Maybe I could have found a better area if I ventured out further - but the area near the central station wasn't filled with tourist activity.


I did read up on the city. Thessaloniki is considered Greece's "hippest city" - it's given Greece some of its greatest musicians, poets, artists, and thinkers. It's the second largest city in the country and has the historical status of "co-reigning" city of the Byzantine empire - alongside Constantinople. It's a major port city and an industrial and commercial center. It acts as a gateway for the Balkan states.


I caught the 5:30pm train to Sofia, Bulgaria. Long ride - I arrived at 11:30pm. I had reserved a hotel about 500 meters from the central train station (I'm starting to describe distance in metric - that is scary). I was ready for bed by midnight. I must have eaten/drank something that was bad. My stomach wasn't feeling so hot. A little sleep will bring a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment