Friday, November 5, 2010

Day #234 - Athens to Cairo, Egypt

Great Pyramids of Giza



Sahara Desert


Streets of Cairo



Nile River (pronounced Neel River)




Hotel pool


Wednesday, November 3rd


I'm coming to you live from the Novotel Hotel lobby in Cairo, Egypt at 4:30am on Saturday morning. Sorry for the delay the past couple days - been busy.


Wednesday was a transition day. My brother Kurt left very early for the airport, leaving Greg to tour with me for a couple more days. We got out of our hotel around 10:30am, taking a shuttle over to the airport for our 1:30pm departure flight to Cairo, Egypt.


Cairo -- the Great Pyramids of Giza, the Sahara Desert, camels, mummies, pharoahs, the Nile River, the Egyptian Museum ---- I've always wanted to spend a couple days here. Greg & I set off on Wednesday to make this a reality.


We arrived into Cairo around 3:30pm. We had to purchase a VISA sticker at the airport for $15 before passing through customs. This is the 3rd country I've visitied on the trip where a VISA was required (Russia, Turkey). We were able to take a shuttle to our hotel. We stayed at the Novotel Hotel - very near the airport. Great place. I would recommend this place to anyone coming to Cairo. They have some nice restaurants, a couple pools, free Wi-Fi, and a great travel booth to help set up tours.


We arrived at the hotel shortly before 5pm. We set up 2 days worth of tours by talking with the booth in the lobby. We were really excited and relieved to have established an agenda which would hit all our target locations. I think 2 full days is just about a perfect time frame for a visit to Cairo.


Rather than venture out into the city in the evening, we decided to eat dinner in the hotel. We then had a couple beers out by the pool. The hotel is a popular spot for wedding receptions. We were able to see this unique ceremony - as they had a band and welcoming line in the lobby.


Here's to the start of a couple memorable days in Cairo. (I'm adding a couple photos from Thursday because I have many I'd like to post)

No comments:

Post a Comment