Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day #73 - Torino, Italy

Torino, Italy

Tree-lined streets

Euro Hotel
Wednesday, May 26th


Italy - first go around ever today. A country where most all the words end in a vowel and the spoken language places an emphasis on the second to last syllable. At this point of the trip, I'm literally tongue-tied when I approach someone. I can't instinctively remember what I should be saying. Switzerland really screwed me up because they speak German, French, and Italian. I'm just trying to hang on. It's getting better for me however. I'm getting pretty comfortable with people not understanding me. I'll often ask questions out loud in a group and when someone looks my way - I know they understood what I said. It's not great - but if your desparate for information - it works well.


I took an early train out of Interlaken today toward Milan, Italy. I had a 1-1/2 hour layover in Milan before making my way to Torino. I had to change train stations in Milan. I was semi-conscious and was able to get to the other train station via the metro - so it must not have been too difficult.


I wanted to spend a day in Torino because I knew that I would not likely be in this part of Italy again during the trip. I do plan to spend a bunch of time in Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, etc - but not so much in the Italian Alps portion.


Torino was a neat city - the home of the 2006 Winter Olympics. I noticed alot of bussinessman on the train from Milan. I had been told before that northern Italy gave a business-type atmosphere. I felt this. Torino was easy to get around - as most of the streets were perfectly north/south. Many of the streets were tree-lined, giving an impressive display. Many museums highlighted the landscape. I would say Torino projected a "professional" atmosphere.


My hotel was actually pretty far outside of town - so I didn't spend as much time walking the city as I usually do. It was more of a pass-through day for me.


Italy is one of those countries that alot of people have been to. Whenever I meet someone and we discuss our travels - their time in Italy always comes up. Because of this, I already have alot of ideas and expectations on certain things (which - can be good or bad). I won't make any 'bold' statements off Day #1 here. I just know I'm really excited about visiting the other areas. My sister is actually coming over for a couple weeks to tour with me - fired up.


Tomorrow I go to Monte Carlo. I'm feeling lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment