Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day #68 - Annecy to Geneva

Sitting on a bench at the Chamonix train station

In transport via train

Geneva airport - outside my hotel window

Friday, May 21st


Congratulations to my niece Abigail today - 8th grade graduation. Only good things to come in the years ahead!


After my day on Thursday in Chamonix, I took the majority of Friday as a rest day. My doctor in St. Louis pointed out that sleep and rest are the most important things for me. I've taken his words to heart.


I slept in until I decided I couldn't sleep anymore. I wanted to get to Geneva today. One of my buddies is coming over in July and we're going to a couple stages of the Tour de France - Saturday-Sunday, July 10-11th. The route they will be taking circles around Geneva. I wanted to do some recon work and figure out the best place for us to stay - as well as the best viewing areas.


It seems like the transportation in the Alps is often multi-sourced. I guess it's not suprising because the mountains make it difficult for trains, etc. I had to take a bus from Annecy to a town called Annamasse. I then had to take a train from Annamasse to Geneva. I then had to take the metro to a location near the airport. Then I had to take another bus to my airport hotel. Even though it was a relaxing day - my brain was not that relaxed. I did get a grasp on the Geneva transportation system however. And, it's not just me - it's a fairly confusing endeavor to get from one area to the next.


I almost pulled my biggest blunder of the trip today. On the bus from Annecy to Annamasse - I put my big bag under the bus in the cargo area and brought my daypack on board. The bus was completely full. Often - I'll take my big bag on the bus with me - I did not have this option today. When we stopped at Annamasse, I got off the bus quickly knowing that I had a train to catch in about 10 minutes. Knowing this train station would not have a bathroom (previously discussed), I wanted to run across the street to a little cafe before getting on this short train to Geneva. I completely forgot about my bag in the cargo area. I made it all the way across this busy street to the cafe - when it hit me. Spaz - I turned around and saw the bus hadn't left yet. I pulled my best Barry Sanders as I weaved in and out of rush hour traffic to catch that bus. No worries - the cars weren't moving as there was a light. I bet the people just remember a flash as I went by. There was no way the bus could get away. When I got there - winded - the bus driver was standing with my bag in hand looking around. That does it. I'm officially on the "French are really good people" bandwagon. I've had too many occasions where they went out of their way for me. Coming into this trip, I heard different things people would say about the French. You know what -- throw all that out the window. You know what -- throw all the generalities about certain "people" out the window. People are people - some good, some bad. You just got to hope you run into the good ones more often than not. Bottom Line - this bus driver waited outside with my bag. He did not have to. He could have pulled away just as easy and left the bag underneath in the cargo space. He saved me. How many times have I said that on this trip?


It took me from about 3pm until about 8:30pm until I was in my hotel by the Geneva airport. That's ok however. I had a great dinner and called it a night. I'm posting a few pictures from the transportation legs I went on today. Tomorrow is a big day -- I head into the mountains again for some more training and scenery.

1 comment:

  1. The beauty is beyond belief--hope we get there someday! Glad you're feeling well! Bob and Annie

    ReplyDelete