Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day #59 - Istanbul - Paris - Caen, France

Walls of the Ottoman Empire

Walls of the Ottoman Empire

Morning run overlooking Bosphorus


Early morning in Istanbul

Wednesday, May 12th


I woke up early this morning (6:30am) to go on a short run - the first run I've done in 2 weeks. I ran for about 25 minutes - but very slowly. Probably went only 2+ miles or so. I then walked another 3-4 miles making my way back to the hotel. I felt great. I headed to the water and ran toward the Sea of Marmara. I had my camera and took some photos while running. I enjoy early morning on this trip when you're out with few people on the streets. You can really see the city at it's core. I got to see the walls of the Ottoman empire that skirted the city to my right while the Bosphorus was on my left. I looked out over the Sea while watching the sun rise.


I ran by the Topkapi Palace I mentioned yesterday. This is the big Ottoman sultan palace where 40,000 inhabitants were once said to live. I also ran by the largest mosque in Istanbul - the Mosque of Suleiman the Magnificent. Suleiman I, the greatest and most powerful sultan created this himself between 1550 and 1557. It's perched up on a hillside in the 'Old City'. It's amazing. The symmetry and dedication to architectural excellence is nothing short of unbelievable considering when this was built.

Getting back to the hotel I cleaned up and had the same awesome breakfast from yesterday outside my room on the balcony. After packing, I headed to the airport via metro. Note - there is alot of traffic in Istanbul, trains or walking are the preferrable means to get places quickly. I'll always remember Istanbul as a place of my health melt-down, but also as a place I'd recommend to all visitors. It certainly has a 3rd world feel to it at first. Give it a chance. Food is great, service is great, sites are interesting and unique, and the people are English-speaking and friendly. I would argue that getting around in Istanbul is alot easier than many western European cities.


I took a 1:45pm flight to Paris arriving at 4:30pm. 4 hour flight as Paris is 1 time zone ahead of Istanbul. Paris is kind of like my hub city. Not sure why. It'a a good central spot. But specifically today, it sets me up to visit one of the sites I've been looking forward to most on the trip. After landing, I got through customs and headed for the train station. I booked a 3 hour train leaving Paris at 7:04pm and arriving in Caen, France at 10:20pm.


Tomorrow I tour the D-Day beaches of Normandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment