Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day #64 - La Rochelle, France

La Rochelle, France

Great sea port

Maritime Museum


La Rochelle, France


Monday, May 17th


Happy Birthday to my nephew Trent!


Today was a unique day on my journey. I took a 7:15am train out of Paris to La Rochelle, France - arriving at 10:20am. My reason for spending the day in La Rochelle - I was attempting to do some research on my ancestry and answer some questions left unknown for some time.


Now, this seems funny to me even as I write this down. How was I planning to do this? I really had no idea even when I got off the train. A straight-on persistent attitude was key - and a little luck along the way wouldn't hurt.


The genealogy tree I was attempting to complete was from the Bauman side, specifically, from my grandma Bauman - who was a Schmerbauch. My aunt and others have traced our descendants back to the early 1700's. My dad grew up in Kaskaskia, Illinois - a place originally descended upon by the french. The link we're missing - how to connect the Illinois clan with the French clan - in a concrete, direct manner.


I've learned some interesting things in preparation for my visit to La Rochelle. My aunt had given me all kinds of reading material. Just a couple quick summary notes:


1810 - 7,267 people living in Kaskaskia
1818 (Dec 3) - Statehood came to Illinois with Kaskaskia as the site of the First Capital City
1844 - Major flood. Waters reached 44.3ft in St. Louis. Covered entire Kaskaskia with over 5 ft of water. Many moved away.

1881 - Another flood. Kaskaskia became an island when the Mississippi River gouged a new channel leading into the Kaskaskia river bed
1918 - Levee built. 14.8 miles long

1973 - Flood. Overtopped the 40ft levee and forced gaping holes. Kaskaskia covered with over 10 ft of water and debris.

1976 - 300 people living on island

1993 (July 22) - Flood breached the new 50ft levee. (record 49.7ft flood level)

2000 - 18 houses standing on island and a few mobile homes.


Growing up along the Mississippi River, I'm definitely familiar with flooding. But, the time line above, puts things into perspective. This shows just how much devastation it can cause and how it affected a community. When I was back in St. Louis, my little niece was saying how she had pictures of Kaskaskia in her history book - learning about the flooding and how it's affected the Mississippi River Valley in the states of Missouri and Illinois. It's interesting to think what's being taught in schools today. I'm sure 9/11 is a topic as well. Who knows - maybe I'll be a teacher in the future - I think I could add some insite to the book content.


Why La Rochelle? In 1741, a bell was sent by King Louis XV of France to the Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception at Kaskaskia (this bell is 11 years older than the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia). The bell was cast and supposedly shipped from La Rochelle with the inscription in French meaning "For the Church of the Illinois, by gift of the King across the water". Maybe shipping records could provide a link? There was said to be one of our ancestry placed in charge of getting the bell to Kaskaskia. It was a shot in the dark - but it's something.


I got off the train and found the tourist information center. My key to success relied on my ability to communicate effectively - to French speaking people. I met this great lady. She was awesome. She was on the phone calling on my behalf. I was directed to the Archives Department in town. I walked over.


I met more nice people. These guys spoke very little English. But, I had enough documents for them to get the idea. I was directed to this section of 1700 shipping records. There were 2 huge binders - in French. No worries - I was looking for dates and names. Then, if successful, I could have them read it. After scanning - no luck. By this time, I'm asking more people and more questions. I'm brought to the microfilm room. I looked through birth and death records, as well as marriage and baptismal records - still not coming up with much of anything.


By now, I must have looked desparate because people were flurrying around looking up things for me. (I'm starting to really like the French - they seem to care - and it's appreciated). I then got on the internet. They provided me with specific archiving sites. Nothing. After 4 hours of this, I'm about ready to throw in the towel when a lady appears (the "closer"). She walks over to me, doesn't say a word, and extends her hand. We shake hands. She says: "I've heard you may need some information - follow me". I dug this ladies confidence. (stick with me - I'll take you places). She was French Canadian - from Nova Scotia. She proceeded to tell me the 1 nugget of information that might actually open the door. La Rochelle was a port often used for shipping; however, the port you're looking for is most likely Rochefort, France - a smaller town 20km south of La Rochelle. She stated that they have their own archives. Rochefort is the site where colony shipments were sent from. This was the port for the military and noblemen. This would likely have been the port the bell was shipped from if it was a gift from the King. Also, a similar bell had been shipped to Canada near this time from Rochefort. Outstanding!


Only bad thing - it's now 4:30pm. I was given all the phone and email information - as well as new archive sites on the internet to search. We decided it's best to reach out via email to the archive department in Rochefort first. Then potentially schedule a later trip.


As I'll be in Europe for some time - I decided to call it a day. I didn't come away with my answers - but this link could make all the difference. If we had been searching the wrong archives - we may have never found the key.

I can't believe I just wrote all this and my trip didn't equate to results. Some things aren't easy - and a quick answer is not always possible.


By this time, I was wiped out. It's amazing how much mental tiredness can trump physical exhaustion at times. I walked back through town and got a hotel. Sleeping at 9pm. I have a 5:37am train to Geneva, Switzerland tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Great detective work, Kyle! I'm thinking that Rochefort could provide some answers. Good luck! By the way, I totally agree with you about the French people - we found them to be extremely friendly and helpful, always going above and beyond the call of duty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we've added mystery! This is outstanding. I can hardly wait to see where we go from here! KB1

    ReplyDelete