Monday, May 24, 2010

Day #70 - Zermatt, Switzerland

Lookout from Sunnegga Paradis lodge - lunch break


Overlooking Zermatt and the Matterhorn


Matterhorn through the trees

Sunday, May 23rd


Today gets the 5-star seal of approval. Zermatt, Switzerland - get to this place. It doesn't matter your age or makeup -- everybody needs to spend a day here. Strong statement - but very worthy. I would not steer you wrong.


I started the day very early in Geneva. I took a taxi from the hotel at 5:50am and caught a train to Zermatt leaving at 6:27am. The train ride consisted of 3 different legs. I had to change trains on 2 different occassions. This is standard procedure in Switzerland. I arrived in Zermatt around 10am. We took a slow train ride up into the mountains the final 1 hour. This ride alone was worth the price of admission.


First order of business, food and storing my bag. The train station again had a great area to leave your bag for the day -- this is becoming a very nice option. I grabbed some sandwich type food and snacks and then found the tourist information center. I was looking for a nice hike. They recommended this great loop. I put on some sunscreen, dropped the windbreaker, and headed out.


Walking through Zermatt is awesome all by itself. Great shops and people, great atmosphere. One of the things I notice about mountain towns - the atmosphere is still. No bugs, no flies, just a still, dry, quiet feel. I can't really decribe this -- but I notice it alot in the mountains. It's very unique and one of my favorite things.


The calling point of Zermatt - the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn is a 4,478meter mountain that overlooks Zermatt. I'm told that there are 38 peaks over 4,000 meters (13,123ft) around Zermatt, but the Matterhorn stands by itself to the far right of the town. When I was in Camonix -- Mont Blanc was the tallest peak - but nobody could pick it out without looking at a map (unless you were familiar with the setting). There is no doubt which peak is the Matterhorn. I was talking with some Swiss guys on the hike - they say it's Europe's most defining mountain. I would tend to agree.


Today I didn't bring my watch (on purpose). I didn't know how high I was or how far I had walked. I didn't want to keep looking down all the time. I just wanted to go. I will say that Zermatt is at an elevation of 1,620 meters (5,314 ft). I walked up to 2,288 meters (7,506 ft). I was at a higher elevation today then I've been the entire trip to date.


Unlike at Mont Blanc, the hiking trail I was on today had several hikers. It actually made me feel more comfortable. There were not many - but I'd rather have somebody around if needed. I walked up to this place called Sunnegga Paradise. I can't describe the scenery by any other word than 'unbelievable'. Truly. I'm still very partial to the Grand Canyon for my favorite hiking place -- but Zermatt could but up a nice argument.


I just really enjoyed the day. At Sunnegga (ski lodge), I sat outside on the balcony for 30 minutes. Your looking right at the Matterhorn. There were guys hang-gliding over the mountains. It was peaceful, perfect. They had a ski lift up to this point, so you could have taken this and still seen the sites. That's why it's fit for all.


I took a leisurely walk back down the mountain. My battery went dead on my camera coming down. That's OK - I had probably already taken over 100 pictures. I couldn't stop.


Days like today are hard to put into words for me. As you're walking up and down the trail, there were these benches perched out on different ledges. You could just sit there and gaze out. This is certainly a way to take away some stress from yur daily life and put things back into perspective.


Around 7pm - I took the train to Interlaken, Switzerland. I'm staying at a hostal tonight. It's only 100 meters from the train station. I might take a day off tomorrow and plan some strategy. I've put in over 50 miles in the past 5 days. Getting stronger.
Hiking along - there's the Matterhorn

2 comments:

  1. Now this is my kind of day. Beautiful scenery, hiking, peaceful, mountains. Switzerland and Austria were my favorite places when I was in Europe many years ago. Oh, how I do wish I was there. Love the pics and the video...although if it were a bit darker it could be Blair Witch like...
    Glad you are feeling stronger. Take care.

    KB3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zermatt was one of our favorite places on our 2000 tour. I remember the train ride up,goats being herded through the streets (no cars were allowed),friendly people,a tiny church where Mass was being said in German, having fondue on an outside patio . . . fantastic views everywhere we looked . . . thanks for bringing the memories back. : )

    ReplyDelete