Monday, May 24, 2010

Day #69 - Les Rousses & Bois d'Amont, France

5km from Bois d'Amont

Bois d'Amont

8km from Bois d'Amont


LaCure



LaCure

Saturday, May 22nd


This morning I had to check out of my hotel early - as it was all booked up for tonight. I wanted to stay in Geneva again, but had only reserved 1 night. (I should learn by now that Geneva is a busy place). No problem. I just needed to find a place for my big bag as I headed to the mountains today.


I took the airport shuttle back to the train station late morning. I was able to store my bag in a huge locker at the train station. It worked great. The cost was 8 franc. I don't know if I mentioned that Switzerland has their own money - the franc. $100 US dollars equals 87 franc. I'm preferrable to the euro right now -- because I have my mind trained that way. So far on the trip: US dollar, euro (Ireland, Spain, Portugal, France), pound (UK), lira (Turkey), and franc (Switzerland).


I'm actually really suprised that you are allowed to store baggage at the stations with security and such. There were no scanners or anyone at the locker site checking containers. There were notes stating they had overhead surveillance - but that still didn't check the contants of the luggage. I was able to walk in from the street - dump my bag in the locker - access a key - and was on my way. Good for me, hopefully good for all of us.


I took a train from Geneva to Noyes, Switzerland and then from Noyes to LaCure, France. Stage #7 of the Tour de France this year ends on Saturday, July 10th in a town called Les Rousses. This town is 2 km from LaCure. After getting off the train, elevation 3,800ft., I ran down to the tourist information center in Les Rousses. I was able to get some great information on transportation and viewing areas for the Tour.


They directed me to the town where Stage #8, on Sunday, July 11th, will start - Bois d'Amont. This is a small village town located 10km from LaCure. I ran back to LaClure and decided I would do a long training run to/from Bois d'Amont. I expected big hills, but the terrain was relatively flat the whole way. That was OK - I needed to get some mileage in. I was still at 3,800ft - so I had some elevation to deal with. I ran/walked the 20km. I really felt good. My legs were sore from the downhills at Chamonix, but it was a good sore (not an injury worry).


Bois d'Amont is a small town that stretched out over a mile. The weather was perfect. People were outside - gardening, sweeping, cleaning, or working on their homes. I ran through town saying "Bonjour" along the way. They responded similarly. A really good day. All total, I went 15.5 miles in about 3 hours, 40 minutes. I was certainly not burning up the track - but I needed mileage.


I took the scenic train back to Geneva. I had to scramble for a hotel by getting on WI-FI at a cafe in the train station. Successful - but I'm paying way too much. Actually, I'm getting the feel that Switzerland is pretty pricing in general. I haven't looked at my financial statements in a couple weeks. I need to do this and be more watchful of what I'm doing.


Right now, I could use a massage therapy session, followed by a hot, bubbly jacuzzi, while sitting out on the deck, overlooking the mountains as the sun fades away, with a nice glass of wine, and perhaps some classic country playing in the background. Sounds pretty good to me. However, I'll grab a shower at the airport hotel, drink some water, and watch foreign TV until I fall asleep. I'll have that picture painted above - just not tonight.


Tomorrow I'm going further into Switzerland - target location for starters - Zermatt.

No comments:

Post a Comment