Friday, August 14th
Refugio Averau to Refugio Croda da Lago
1,500’ vertical
6.5 miles
It’s 4pm on Friday, August 14th. I’m resting in the bottom bunk of my 6-bed dormitory in Refugio Croda da Lago. I’m starting to really like this 1-2 hr window in the late afternoon each day - to just rest/chill. It’s the first time I can just have time to myself and let the mind relax.
Today was another great day - completing our hike at 12noon. Tomorrow we’re in for a much longer day - so it’s nice to get off the feet early today.
Our Refugio tonight has a great location on a lake. Tons of people were laying by the water all afternoon - it’s a really popular spot for day hikers as well. The Refugio itself reminds me of an old farmhouse. It’s much older than any place we’ve stayed in to date - with very tiny rooms and bathrooms - with 1 shower that can barely fit an average size person.
The day started with a 7am breakfast. I’ve been eating yogurt with granola each morning - I spiced it up with a banana today. I also had some turkey, cheese, and toast/jam. We were on trail by 7:45am. The first part of the day involved a 2,500’ descent over 3-4 miles. We passed by Cinque Torri- a unique rock formation with a ton of history. The morning walk included some road walking and then single-track through the woods. The scenery early today was much different - as we were in the trees - which offered a much cooler start to the day.
The afternoon involved a 1,300’ climb - in about 2-3 miles to our final destination. The ascent had some really steep sections, but overall, it wasn’t too bad. Once we arrived at the Refugio - we got checked in to our room - and then grabbed some lunch/drinks. We chatted with 2 local couples from Italy that were able to give us some great insight into our next few hiking days. It’s always great to hear excitement from locals for what you’re doing. They pumped us up for the days to come.
After lunch - we chilled by the water and then walked a loop around the lake - maybe a 1/2 mile. By this time it was about 3:30pm. I grabbed a shower - which brings me up to date.
Dinner tonight is at 7pm. We’re planning to head down for some drinks about 6pm. I’ll check in later.

















No comments:
Post a Comment