Sunday, August 9, 2026

Italy - Dolomites - Day #4

Sunday, August 9th


It’s 12:20pm local time.  I’m currently aboard a bus headed to Cortina d’Ampezzo from Venice, Italy.  The total bus ride is expected at 3-hrs -arriving into Cortina at 1:40pm.  


This morning was about getting packed up from our AirBnB, and getting to our departure stop at the Venice Mestre Station - for a 10:40am departure.  We got to the station an hour early - enough time to grab some breakfast.  


The ride has been smooth so far.  As we get closer to Cortina - it reminds me of driving out I-70 to the mountains from Denver.  There have been a bunch of tunnels - mimicking the Eisenhower tunnel on I-70.  The views have been spectacular. 


It’s 8:50pm - in the room for the night.  We’re staying at the Ciasa Lorenzi.   We only had a 1/4 mile walk from the bus station to our place upon arrival into Cortina around 2pm.  We stored our bags in the room and went out to explore Cortina.  Wow!!  This place is amazing.  There are steep mountains that circle the town.  All the hotels have flowers around their exteriors.  This place is special.   It reminds me a lot of Chamonix, France — but maybe even better.  


Greg and I had some drinks and met a couple from the Netherlands who we spoke with for over an hour.  They were doing a week trip to Italy and Austria - a driving loop from their place.  It’s really interesting just how close countries are in Europe.  It took them 12 hours to drive to Cortina from the Netherlands - that’s like Denver to St Louis.  


We next walked the town and had a great pizza dinner - while listening to a blues band playing in a small park across the street.  We ended the night watching some kind of parade with music and everybody decked out in what appeared to be dresses/attire similar to that found at Oktoberfest.  


I know I was only here for a day - but this place is really cool.  I would suggest this to anyone - as a base to some incredible scenery. 


Greg and I got our backpacks all setup tonight - as we’ll be carrying all our own gear the next 8 days.  We have a 2nd bag that will be transferred to our final hotel in Belluno that we’ll grab on the last night of the trip.  I’m sitting around 22 lbs without water (28-29 lbs with water)- it’ll be a tough carry up the steep slopes of the Dolomites. 


Time for some sleep.  We have a 6am shuttle tomorrow morning which will bring us to the start point of the Alta Via 1 - the classic hiking route through the Dolomites. 


Let’s get it started! 




Ciasa Lorenzi - our hotel



















No comments:

Post a Comment