Monday, April 26, 2010

Day #43 - Barcelona to Istanbul, Turkey

Blue Mosque with fountain

Blue Mosque

Hagia Sophia

Moonlight over Blue Mosque

Monday, April 26th

I left the hostal this morning at 6am. I took the metro to the airport. I took a 9:10am flight from Barcelona to Madrid. I then took an 11:10am flight from Madrid to Istanbul, Turkey - arriving at 4:35pm. It's 1 hour ahead - so a 4 hour flight.

I'm currently on the plane. From the looks of the folks around me, I'm expecting a fine class of people on arrival. I have a hotel that is literally across the street from the Blue Mosque. I'll try to get a picture of me off the balcony with the views in the background.

I'm fired up. Istanbul is the bridge from the East to the West. The city spans the European and Asian continents. I've walked/run across state lines (Bloomsdale, MO to Kaskaskia, IL), I'll be walking across country lines later this year (France, Italy, Switzerland - Tour Mont Blonc) - why not walk across a continent line. Say it out loud. I agree, it sounds pretty cool.

Later

It's 10:30pm and I'm in my hotel room. I made it to the hotel about 7pm. First impressions of Istanbul ---- English spoken everywhere, very nice people, unbelievable sites. I ate a meatball dinner 1 door down from my hotel. Then, I walked 150 yards from my hotel doorstep and took the pictures above. Yes sir - "It's a Beautiful Day" - U2 playing in the background.

Good night. I'm going to get some solid sleep tonight and feel like a champion tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. KB4,

    Beautiful sites! Slow down and take them all in. Ingesting a little at a time is key to health and happiness. Be well.

    KB1

    ReplyDelete