Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day #30 - Toledo, Avila, and Salamanca, Spain

Salamanca's Plaza Mayor


Avila's fortress

Avila's Fortress - similar to Great Wall of China


Toledo's tight streets



Toledo's Gothic cathedral


Tuesday, April 13th
Before I start the blog today, I just wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for all the great comments and support along the way. I really appreciate your words and it does keep the spirit high. I know many of you have been to Europe and have done many of the things I'm taking on in this trip. Any hints, suggestions. wise tales, etc. are always welcome. We can do some things together. My email is kyle1baum@gmail.com if you prefer that means of communication.
Agressive day for me today. I did some city hopping. It was good stuff - about the right time in each location.

I started the day off early with a 7:20am train from Madrid to Toledo, Spain. What a cool city. I got off the train and the city itself was all up on this hill. I wasn't sure where I was headed - but I'm getting good at just instinctively picking the way to go based on acitivity and looks. Toledo is unique for its amazing Gothic cathedral. This cathedral is ranked among the world's greatest Gothic structures, it was built between the 13th and 15th centuries on the site of an old Arab mosque. The other interesting thing about this city, it has 3 very distinct religious districts: Muslim, Christianity, and Judiasm. Sections of the town are even identified with signs. That was kind of amazing to me. The 3 major religions, all living together, but yet very separated. Interesting. Toledo also had very narrow streets. When walking in certain areas, you almost had to hug the walls for cars to pass.

I headed back to Madrid and then caught another train to Avila, Spain. Avila is famous for its stone fortress that surrounds the city. Very similar to the Great Wall of China. The near perfect 11th century walls of the fortress are a protected national treasure. Ten foot thick and 40 foot high, they took more than 2,000 workers 10 years to build. For a mile and a half they wind around this hilltop town, and include 90 semicircular guard towers, 9 narrow arched gates, and more than 2,300 embattlements. Similar to the Great Wall, the fortress was built for protection from the Moors. Avila is also the hometown of St. Teresa, who was born here in 1515. She would become one of the most famous Catholic saints and the female patron saint of Spain. St. James the Apostle is Spain's male patron saint.

Leaving Avila, I continued my trip west of Madrid to the town of Salamanca. I am writing this blog from my hotel room here in Salamanca. This is easily the biggest town I visited today. It gave me the feel of a small-time Madrid. The city has busy streets that start from the Plaza Mayor. This is a large rectangular town square, which houses cafes, shops, etc. It's nearly identical (and named the same), as the Plaza Mayor in Madrid. It's a Tuesday, I was out walking around here until nearly 10pm -- people were everywhere. That seems to be a theme here in Spain. My book even indicates that Madrid is known as the "City that never sleeps". I guess the surrounding cities have follwed suit. I do notice; however, they are not really big on getting going in the morning. I was in Toldeo around 8am. Nothing open. Most shops open at 9am at the earliest. McDonalds opened at 11:30am. When I left at noon - people were beginning to wake up.

Tomorrow I'll be working my way north and west of Madrid. Segovia, Leon, and Santiago are target sites for the next couple days before heading into Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment