Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day #42 - Barcelona, Spain - beaches

Art Museum - way to Poble Espanyol

Great beach

Alot of beach goers on Sunday afternoon


Guell Parc



Guell Parc - really interesting stuff
Sunday, April 25th

I've not been feeling 100% for a few days, so I decided to take in some sun today to see if that would help out. Let me say, the thing I'm struggling with most right now, is not the language barriers, directions or meeting people, it's my physical well-being. My body is shutting down and reacting in ways that scare me. It's strange really. My metabolism seems to be that of a 1st grader. I'm constantly feeling like I should be on the move. My energy level is at an all-time high. That's great and all, but, because of this, nutrition has been an issue. I don't know what I weigh, but it's easily plausible that I've dropped 10-12+ pounds to date from start of trip. When my pants fall completely to the ground - that's when there is a problem. I'm very close right now. Tilt my hat to the side and say "Yo, Yo" alot - I could be a rapper.

Now, I'm good with weight loss. Plus, I actually am stronger in alot of ways. I'll be OK - I just need to control my nutrition. I'm eating and sleeping, I just need to be aware that I can't go too long without food. It seems like if I don't eat quickly when I start feeling bad - it goes south fast. I guess I don't have alot of reserves built up. It makes it tougher when you're not clear what you are eating, and the nutritional value of the intake. It's kind of like running a marathon constantly. If you try to do a marathon and don't eat the right amounts - you'll crash - no question. It's all about learning my new patterns.

See, this is a big change from the way I used to live. I would often go all day and eat 1-2 times - usually in large quantities at these settings. I'd eat powerbars, energy drinks, etc. Honestly, if I can just hang in there, the way I'm being forced to eat right now, is probably the absolute best thing for me. A person should eat multiple times in a day. You shouldn't go too long without nutrition. Eat small and eat often. I wanted to become healthier on this trip. Even though from an outsider's viewpoint, I may have appeared healthy before, not so much. Although it's a bear right now - I'll be better for it in the long run. For those family members worried about me - it'll be OK. If my energy level is high, I'm stronger, and my body looks better -- these are all good things. I will adjust. No worries - they can't keep me down.

Sorry for that detour. I said I was an inner motivator. That was more about me trying to inspire myself than anything else. I feel alot better just writing that down.

I started Sunday morning by going to mass. I found an English-speaking catholic church on the internet. A 10 minute train ride and a 15 minute walk - I was there. Nice - and I'm keeping the good karma flowing.

I then took the metro to Guell Parc. This was a place recommended to me by my aunt's friend's son. It was great. Located outside the main tourist section of town, the park was a unique experience. There were miles of trails up and down these hills. There were people playing music along the paths. There were stone columns, architectural pieces, interesting sitting spots. It's really difficult to describe - but it's definitely worth an afternoon if you're ever in Barcelona. There were hundreds of people there. It was a Sunday with perfect 80 degree weather. Maybe choose a weekday - this is a place where a quiet, peaceful stroll would be the correct answer.

After the park, time for the beach. I didn't know what beach was the best, so I got on the metro, located some fine ladies with beach bags, and I decided that I was getting off the metro when they did. It worked out nicely. My requirements for a great beach - blue water, fine sand (preferrably white sand), and excellent viewage. I was rewarded today. I plan to hit several beaches on the trip, with the French Riveria and the Greek Isles being at the top of the list. I've now set a mark. Let's see if I can do better. I'm betting that I can. Bondi, Ipanema, South Beach - whose going in the charts as my best European beach? Who wants the title? St Tropez - do you got what it takes?

I then took the metro to another recommendation - Poble Espanyol. This is an old town area closed to vehicular traffic, within confined walls. It wasn't far from the Olympic stadium complex. When I got there - it was $15 to get in. It was getting late. I got the generally idea - so I decided not to pay the fee.

Back to the hostal to get packed. Tomorrow morning I take a flight to Istanbul, Turkey. Ah-hah!!! I feel the need, the need for speed!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You're probably not aware of a crazy little rap popularized in the early audition part of American Idol this season, but your paragraph describing your weight loss and the resulting low-riding pants made me start to sing it . . . "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground"! Yo, yo, you're crackin' me up here!

    ReplyDelete