Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day #22 - Paris & Bordeaux, France

Inside train car to Bordeaux


High-speed train from Paris

Monday, April 5th

Big travel day today. I got to airport early for my noon flight. The Dublin airport is pretty simple - I was at my gate within about 10 minutes. Flight was fine - no issues.

When I arrived in Paris, I thought I would be taking the 4:36pm train to Bordeaux (per my time schedule provided with my eurail pass). I knew that I had to 'activate' the eurail pass. Therefore, I went to the information place to make this happen. Fortunately, I got an extrememly helpful lady. She made my first eurail experience very postitive. I am glad for her because it turns out there was not a 4:36pm train. And, I needed a reservation. Luckily, it's not peak travel time, so I was able to get a seat on the 7:11pm train arriving in Bordeaux at 11:10pm.

Even though this experience was positive today, it made me worried about the future. There were different trip options as compared to my eurail time schedule. And, most of these require reservations. She stated that in peak season, reservations must be made well in advance. I like to wing it, I'm not sure this is good.

I got on the train, very few people. It's a 2-story. I take the top and stretch out in a 4-person cube. This train was flying and very smooth. We were going 500 miles in 4 hours - not bad. Then, about 30 minutes later, we made a stop and 200 of my closest friends boarded - little exaggeration. This roomy train was now packed solid.

Supposedly, we had assigned seats. I guess I was in the wrong one because I got moved twice. Strange, I was in Car #2 - Seat #36. But, there were about 4 cars labelled #2. I still don't get it. There was a big-time language barrier. I asked many people - nobody could talk to me. I didn't see any workers on the train. This is different - I must go through an adjustment phase.

I was able to get onto the internet at the airport before I left for Bordeaux. I reserved a hotel about 1km from the train station. I hope I can find it - as I'm writing this blog on the train.

It's been a couple days since I've seen some sites. Tomorrow should be a good day. Bordeaux in the morning and Lourdes in the afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Kyle,
    I've just read your entire blog and it's fascinating. You'll be so glad in years to come to read what you wrote. I always "journal" when I travel and find it amazing how much is lost from memory unless a written record jogs it.
    What a great trip you've had so far! I have read the comments too and would reiterate what someone wrote that sites are great but it is the people you meet who really enrich your experience. Keep shaving and they'll open up to you. :)

    ReplyDelete