Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day #38 - Cordoba, Spain

Outside Mezquita


Courtyard


Church spire


Wednesday, April 21st

It's 7am and I'm at the train station in Seville. I was up at 5:30 - out the hostel by 6. I walked the streets toward the train station until I found a cab - it would have been about a 45 minute walk here. I was scheduled to take the 7:15 to Cordoba - time has changed to 7:50 - no worries.

This is a large train station. There is 1 place open where you can get food - predominantly donuts. I just ate a ham sandwich and a bag of chips for breakfast. There are people standing around this cafe drinking their sippe cups of coffee. I've got to think there is a market for larger, paper, take-away cups - isn't there? I'm not really a 'coffee drinker', but I would love to have a large cup of Caribou or Starbucks right now. There's 20 other shops here - none are open. I wonder if that is a law - I would doubt it. If I was the manager of these shops - I would pay double to my staff in order for my shop to be open early morning. There are 14 outbound trains before 8am - and people are sitting around. This could arguably be one of the busiest times of the day.

I've been writing this blog often in my notebook while I'm in transit from one location to another and then typing it out on my computer at night. I did the blog yesterday quickly at night - but I think I should elaborate a bit.

Semana Santa (Holy Week) is celebrated througout the Christian world, but nowhere as it is in Seville, Spain. Each evening of the week before Easter members of the city's sixty brotherhoods slowly parade thrugh the cities darkened streets. Many are hooded, barefoot, and dragging chains. There are candlelit processions and floats bearing the images of the holy family. Deeply devoted songs are played throughout the week. This all gives way to the Feria festival I was at yesterday. My book states it's 'a one-week hiatus from the worries of the real world'. Anyway - I wanted to give some more detail on why this festival is so celebrated.

Popularity of this event --- when I went to find a hotel/hostel, a hotel called ALfonso XIII went for $821 a night (cheapest rate) I'm told it's the most exotic hotel in Spain. Well- hopefully it has something special for that price. I don't ever recall seeing a hotel priced that high while searching on the net.

I'm off to Cordoba, Spain this morning. I'm trying something new with this blog. I find myself forgetting details or not having time to complete at night; therefore, I'm going to try and write shorter notes throughout the day. It'll be like a twitter account - but displayed as 1 entity within a blog format.
Later
I spent a few hours in Cordoba this morning/afternoon. It's about a 1-1/2 hour train ride from Seville. Cordoba is one of those southern towns with deep traditons. Back between the 8th and 10th centuries, Cordoba was Europe's largest city (strong statement). One of its main attractions is 'The Mezquita". The Mezquita was initially constructed as a mosque - one of Europe's most breathtaking examples of Spanish Muslim architecture. It was later partially destroyed and rebuilt in 1236 as a cathedral. There's a church spire and a neat courtyard outside as well.

I'm learning alot how religion has influenced Europe's past and how some of the most treasured symbols in many cities are cathedrals (christianity), mosques (muslim), and synagogues (jewish). There's also so many different kings and empires which have governed and since fallen. I'm very interested in history. I'm a little confused about details right now - hopefully I'll put the pieces together as time moves forward.

I'm currently in another train headed to Granada, Spain. I'll be spending the night here. We keep stopping outside of stations - I'm not sure what is going on. I keep thinking about the old west and the gangsters that would hold up trains. If pirates still take over ships, can trains be held up? I've been singing "The Gambler" to myself all day - I need to get the train car to join in. That would make me feel better.

Once in Granada, I'll probably crash for the night. I'm headed to Barcelona tomorrow - the 4th most visited city in Europe. Fired up. I have a hostel reserved to make some friends on Thursday-Friday nights. Until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment