Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Day #14 - TMB Trek

 Day #14 - TMB Trek


Wednesday, August 16th


Hiking Day #9 - Tre-le-Champ to Planpraz via Lac Blanc - 8.7 miles, 4,563’ ascent, 2,631’ descent 


Best hiking day of the trip!   Today we walked all day with views of Mont Blanc and the majestic mountain range encompassing it.  We had perfect weather - and the views were stunning!!   If you ever just wanted to get a taste of the TMB - but didn’t have the desire to hike the entire loop - pick this section.


It was a really hard hiking day however. The day started with a near 4,000’ climb - in about 3.2 miles.  What makes this day special in addition to the incredible views - the route has metal ladders and steep wooden staircase sections.  You can choose to bypass them - but we all 3 went for action. 


My favorite part of the day was at the end.  There was a restaurant that overlooked Mont Blanc.  There were para-gliders littering the sky with Mont Blanc as a backdrop. I stopped and had a soda - while lounging in a reclining chair.  Peaceful and perfect!!!


So - this trip has been crazy busy.   I’m still about 5/10 on the health front - with major sinus stuff going on.  I’m generally a walking zombie by the end of the day.  


1 more hiking day to go.   Tomorrow (Thursday 17th) is Greg’s 50th B-Day.  We got to celebrate tomorrow night.   And - I’ve been working on something the past couple days.  Because I really want to finish the TMB - and the fact we have Friday as a day to just bum around in Chamonix until we get a bus to Geneva - I’ve decided to make a run at the 2 days I missed - but making it happen in 1 day. 


I’ve got a car service taking me to La Fouly, Switzerland at 4am on Friday morning.  I’ll walk back to Courmayeur and then take a 2 bus combo to Geneva (where I meet back up with Greg and Korby).  Those guys plan to chill in Chamonix and may take the gondola to the peak.  This is an aggressive undertaking by me - but 1 of the 2 sections I missed was fairly simple.  I have exit points available to me if I can’t make it.  Here’s to making it happen!!


Not sure if I’ll be able to check in before Friday night with so much happening.  Here’s to health and strength- I’ll need a fair bit of both. 


Goodnight form the French Alps!!!


Early morning view of Mont Blanc

Sun peaking out

Mont Blanc through the trees

Ladder section

Pretty steep

More ladders

Incredible 

Lake at the summit of big climb

Refugio at summit - took a break

Hiking solo most of day

Can’t stop taking pictures

Really nice

Long descent

Ascending into Mont Blanc

End of hike

Para-gliders

Amazing

Mesmerized 

Chamonix

Chamonix 

View from Main Street in Chamonix 

Amazing town of Chamonix 



No comments:

Post a Comment