Sunday, August 13, 2023

Day #11 - TMB Trek

                             Day #11 - TMB Trek


Sunday, August 13th


Hiking Day #6 - LaFouly to Champex - 9.3 miles, 1,637’ ascent, 2,073’ descent. 


Hiking day success!!   Just what I needed today.  6 miles of relatively flat, sloping downhill followed by a little 1,500’ uphill at the end of the day to get some confidence back.  Definitely the easiest day on the TMB thus far - and it was positioned at a really good time. 


I woke up feeling a little better - but not great.  I was nervous about how my body would react after being down and out a couple days - so I started the day early before Greg and Korby.  I ate a quick breakfast and hit the trail - while they were still eating.  First couple miles I was shaky, and sweating when I probably should not have been. About mile #3 - I decided to put my headphones in and just start listening to some music.  Sometimes I’m my worst enemy- I think about way too many things.  I’ve found that music is a perfect distraction and always picks me up.  The next 7 miles went by in a flash.  Korby and Greg never caught up to me.  I met them at the finish. I wasn’t going fast - just a consistent pace


I’m currently in Champex, Switzerland - a super-cool mountain town.  There is a huge lake in the middle of town which draws everybody together - paddle-boarding, kayaking, fishing, swimming.  We actually finished the hike around 11am and we couldn’t check into the hotel until 1-1:30pm.  We decided to grab a couple drinks and just sit in the grass by the lake.  It was relaxing and perfect!!   


I then checked into my hotel and just decided to chill inside and rest/sleep the remainder of the afternoon.  Greg and Korby went back out to check out the town - but I’ll meet up with them tonight at dinner (6:30pm).  


Hoping to do a zoom call with my AT Tramily at 9pm my time - so got some things going for later.  


I plan to approach tomorrow similar to today.  Start early and go really slow and consistent. Lots of lingering stuff - but I’m on the upward tick!   


4 more hiking days left - and everybody says the homestretch is the most scenic and beautiful part of the whole trail. If that’s true - it’s going to be epic for sure.   Keep the Faith!!


Start of the day 

A lot of smooth track today

Reminded me of Colorado

Great view

Down in valley most of the day

Big trails

A walk through the woods

Very nice

We walked through several small towns

Cool town

More road walks

Mountains around the valley

My favorite of the day

Neat carving

Final road into town

Lake in middle of town

More lake views

Champex, Switzerland 



No comments:

Post a Comment