Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Day #13 - TMB Trek

 Day #13 - TMB Trek


Tuesday, August 15


Hiking Day #8 - Trient to Tre Le Champ via Le Tour + Les Houches to the top station of the Bellevue gondola - 12.5 miles, 3,300’ ascent, 5,438’ descent


There were 2 options on today’s hike.   The first portion, which included a big 3,200’ climb, was consistent for both routes.  At the top of the big climb - you could ascend another 400’ or take the descent through the ski runs.   I’ve been incredibly weak the past couple days.  I started the day about 30 minutes before Greg and Korby.  They caught up to me at the first peak.  They opted for the additional climb - I decided to descend.  My route was actually the standard TMB route.  


For the next 3 nights - we’ll be staying in Chamonix.  Because of this - we’ll be taking buses or gondolas from our end point back into Chamonix - then retrace our steps the next morning.   We finished up at a place called Tre Le Champ.  I grabbed the bus into town, checked into the hotel, then ate some lunch.  Greg and Korby got to the hotel about 30 minutes after me. 


Today was different than any day so far - because I wasn’t done hiking.   Greg and I had chosen to take the gondola on the first day of the hike so we didn’t start with a killer day.  Today we got a bus back to Les Houches - took the gondola up and finished the 5 miles we had missed.  I really want to do all the miles on the TMB - this cleans up everything but the 2 days I missed due to sickness.


We had an incredible dinner at an Italian restaurant right by our hotel to end the night.  I was one tired feller after dinner and crashed  once I hit the room.  It’s actually Wednesday night now (8/17) and I’m trying to catch up on the blog.  


2 more hiking days to go.  Still meeting interesting people.  The trails are active - scenery still unreal. 


Leaving Trient - early start

Sun peaking out in the morning

Smooth hiking trail

Switzerland-France border

Clouds rolling in - rain held off

Distant trail

Walking down the ski slope

Start of hike to Les Houches

Awesome

Halfway to Les Houches

Incredible

Amazing

Perfect

Chamonix Hotel - Hotel De L’Arve

Hotel right by mountain river


No comments:

Post a Comment