Saturday, June 27, 2020

Day #106 - AT Hike

Friday, June 26 - Day #106 - AT Hike

Miles Hiked Today - 18.9
Total Miles Hiked on AT - 1480.3/2,193 (67.50%)

Ten Mile River Shelter (1461.4) to Silver Hill Campsite (1480.3) - camp at Silver Hill Campsite

Total ascent - 4,104’
Total descent - 3,563’

Total States Completed - 9/14

**Rain Day - Had an afternoon shower. Clear the rest of the day. High - 82. Low - 62.

———-

Already about 1/2 way through the state of Connecticut. A solid 18.9 mile hike today - with 4,104’ vertical ascent.  The vertical numbers have steadily been climbing - this will be good training once I get into NH.

I started the day with a 1.3 mile walk to a country store. I resupplied there for an additional 3 days into Great Barrington. The store only opened at 7am - so I arrived right at the opening. The rest of the crew (the 9 folks from yesterday) showed up a little after me. We all had some breakfast on the picnic tables outside the store. The big group was slack packing today. They asked me if I wanted to join - but I decided to just carry my pack. I went on trail a little early - because I was sure they would catch me. It was crazy - because only Dirty Jobs caught up to me today. Him and I ended up walking the last 5 miles together. He’s a really cool guy.

About a 1/2 mile from camp (down the hill - the camp required a steep 1/2 mile climb) - the group had to wait to get their packs from the shuttle driver. Dirty Jobs stayed down the hill and I walked up to camp and setup. 2 hours went by and nobody showed. I thought they all decided to go into town. Then - I could here Punchline and Chickweed coming up the hill. They hollered out for me when entering camp. Dirty Jobs knocks on my tent and hands me a beer. While they were waiting on their packs - they had a delivery of pizza and beers. These guys are solid!!

Tomorrow- all these guys are going into Fall Village - about 14 miles away. I’m probably going to go to the next shelter about 18-1/2 miles away. They are planning on being in Great Barrington on Monday (like me) - so I’ll see what’s in store down the road. I really like the fact their group is larger - you get a chance to talk to a bunch of different people each day. I think if you’re hiking with 1 person - your differences can be exposed easier and make it more difficult to always get along. I really like the respect these guys show each other. If you recall - I mentioned this about Punchline and his group when I met them several weeks ago.  It’s so tough to find the perfect connection on the AT (and in life for that matter - maybe reason I’m still single). These guys are fun, personable, and I’m really comfortable around them. But - they leave camp later than me and hike lesser miles. Caruso and Sherpa Mike had similar miles in mind and wanted to leave early - but the personal connection was never strong there. I could hang with them - but they never would have yelled out my name once into camp and brought me a beer. I barely know this group and they have welcomed me in. But - I’m taking my time here

Body and gear check
I’ve been feeling better the past few days - but still pretty tired. I could have almost fell asleep while walking the last 3 miles (because it was on a flat road). Besides my shoulder - the body is hanging tough. My heel pain has almost fully gone away. It’s unbelievable the difference this makes later in the day. My shoulder is still an issue - but I’m dealing with it OK.

Both my CNoc bags have developed a pin hole in them over the past week. I can’t store any water in these bags to carry with me on my pack anymore - because they’ll leak dry while I’m hiking. Today - I decided to purchase 2 additional 1-liter smart water bottles. I collected the water in the CNoc bags and then filtered it directly into the 3 - 1-liter bottles I have. Once I get into Great Barrington - I’m going to search for the 1.5 or 2.0 liter bottles. I’d like at least 4L carrying capacity.  So - moving forward - I’ll collect in the CNoc bags - filter immediately - then carry the smart water bottles in my pack. I think this system is workable.

Another big day tomorrow with over 4,000’ vertical. Here’s to being safe and healthy out there. Have a great night!

Peak - just about done with climbing today

Early morning bridge walk

Great

Late afternoon fields

Swing at shelter 

Cool bridge going into convenience store

Awesome bridge

We briefly went back into NY today

Dirty Jobs

Awesome

Mid-day field walk

Final climb

Needing new shoes

Early morning

Calebs Peak

No comments:

Post a Comment