Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Asian Sabbatical - Day #28 - Bangkok, Thailand

Wednesday, July 27

Typical side street in Bangkok

A row of tuk-tuks waiting for a fare

Tuk-tuk -- used as an option to a taxi
 
Very narrow sidewalks in Bangkok for the most part - and busy

Thai massage parlors everywhere

Example of busy streets and vendors in the background

Night walk in Siem Reap

Siem Reap --- Similar make-up to Bangkok - with the motorbikes and tuk-tuks

The main circular turn-around headed into the town of Siem Reap

My room - very spacious -- hoping for no lizards in my bed
 
 
Coming live from the Moon Residence & Spa Hotel in Siem Reap, Cambodia.  I have made it to the final country on my Asian Sabbatical (I will be going back to Thailand for a few days before returning home).
 
Today was a mixed bag of activity.  I spent the morning and early afternoon in Bangkok.  I walked around for a couple more hours and then did some final research on the last few days of the trip.  I'll be doing a day tour of Angkor Wat tomorrow in Cambodia.  Then, I will spend the last 3 days in Phuket, Thailand -- hopefully on a beach or cruise boat -- relaxing and taking in the sites (maybe some snorkeling, swimming, kayaking).  It's crazy how fast the time has gone.
 
After spending most of the day in Bangkok, I took a 2-train combination to the airport.  I then took a 1-hour flight to Siem Reap.  I had to get a VISA on arrival at the airport in Siem Reap ($30).  This was the second VISA required for me on the trip - as we needed one for China ($140).  I was a little surprised actually.  I didn't think a VISA was required.  I've had this "on-arrival" requirement in a couple other countries in the past (I remember Turkey was the same).  Only difference in Cambodia - they required a passport photo to get the VISA.  Luckily - I had my old passports with me, and I had kept a copy of a spare passport photo. 
 
Siem Reap is the 3rd most populated city in Cambodia - but only with a population of 148,000.  The entire country of Cambodia has around 15 million.  These are very small numbers when considering the other countries I have visited on this trip. 
 
After getting through the airport, I got a taxi to my hotel.  Everybody quotes you in US dollars here.  Interesting.  They prefer you pay in US money.  Actually, the tour I'm doing tomorrow, asked me to specifically pay the entry fees into the temples with $20.  Not sure what I would have done if I had no US money with me.  I am able to pay the tour cost with a credit card (or Cambodian money). 
 
I feel like I'm out in the woods in Siem Reap.  Small -- my place has bullfrogs croaking, and little lizards running up the outside walls.  It's a really nice place -- but's it's the closest to camping I've been in a while.
 
Tomorrow I get to tour one of the most popular sites in the world - Angkor Wat.  I have a tour guide setup to pick me up tomorrow morning at 7am.  I'll have a really full day.  I fly to Phuket late tomorrow night.  I might not be able to post for a day - likely to get to my hotel after midnight tomorrow.
 
Keep the faith out there -- be back soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment