Sunday, July 24, 2016

Asian Sabbatical - Day #25 - Manila, Philippines

Sunday, July 24th

American Cemetery

Great weather today

The grass is the same as Arlington National Cemetery in DC.

This picture looks so well-manicured - it almost appears fake.
 
More views

American & Philippine soldiers from World War II
  
Tour guide took a pic of me
 
Philippine flag at Rizal Park

Rizal Park Monument

Jose Rizal - national hero

Rizal Monument

Info on Fort Santiago
 
Monument of Jose Rizal at Fort Santiago
 
Walled city of Intramuros - Fort Santiago

Manila Cathedral - 2 year wait list to get married here

3 popes have visited the Manila Cathedral

Manila Cathedral
 
Final walk through of Makati - where my hotel is located

Interesting sign
 

Really good day in Manila today.  Sometimes when I travel alone, I struggle with finding that sweet-spot of being too naive (gullible) and being too cautious (uptight).  What I mean is -- you always need to be careful when travelling alone and know what you are getting into. But, at the same time, you can't let that keep you from having fun.  I always fall on the cautious side -- and I think that's good.  I know that about myself; therefore, I try to put myself in situations where I can be more relaxed.  How did I do that today -- I took a guided day trip of the Old/New City of Manila. 

I held a little back last night from my blog on my initial thoughts of this area.  More than a little sketchy - I was concerned.  Concerned enough that I was in my room before dark and didn't venture more than 1-2 miles from my hotel.  I like to read about areas before I go.  It just so happens that Manila and an adjacent city happen to be rated in the Top 10 most dangerous cities in Asia.  Human trafficking is a big thing here.  On my trip to the hotel, we drove through some areas with severe poverty.  When I checked in, the hotel encouraged me to take taxis versus the metro.  Mostly because of the shear numbers of people - but also to be safe.  Also - they encouraged me to follow my gut.  If you feel like you shouldn't be in an area - don't go there.  Again - I'm being overly cautious here.  The area I'm staying in - Makati - is the Beverly Hills of Manila.  The tour backed that up today.  It's just good to be aware.

I write this on Sunday night around 9pm.  I'm in my hotel room and will depart for Thailand tomorrow early am.  I started the day today with a really nice breakfast at my hotel.  I then walked over to the Fairmont Hotel for my 9:30 city tour.  Some of the highlights of the tour are shown below:

(1)  American Cemetary - we first visited this site where the gravestones for the American and Philippine soldiers from World War II were located.  The cemetery was built between 1948-1958.  Wow - this was impressive!  Emaculate.  We were told that the employees that maintain the grounds earn about 5 times the minimum wage in Manila.

(2) Rizal Park - famous urban park in Manila adjacent to the old walled city of Intramuros.  The Park is an important site in Philippine history.  The execution of national here, Jose Rizal, on December 30, 1896 fanned the flames of the 1896 Philippine Revolution against the Kingdom of Spain.  The area was officially renamed Rizal Park in his honor, and the monument enshrining his remains serves as the park's symbolic focal point

(3)  Fort Santiago/Intramuros - Defense fortress first built by the Spanish.  Fort Santiago is part of the structures of the walled city of Manila referred to as Intramuros.  This is an important historical site.  Several lives were lost in its prisons during the Spanish Colonial Period and World War II.  Jose Rizal was imprisoned here before his execution in 1896.  The fort has his final steps embedded onto the ground in bronze - representing his final walk from his cell to the location of the actual execution. 

(4)  Manila Cathedral - This is a Roman Catholic Basilica located in Manila.  The Cathedral was damaged and destroyed several times since the original structure was built in 1581 while the 8th and current cathedral was finally completed on 1958.  Three popes have visited the cathedral (see photo above)

(5)  A few other interesting things on the tour today:  70% of the Philippines is below poverty, with 20% wealthy, and only 10% middle class.  (Meaning - there is a very large discrepancy between the population mix).  We drove by "Millionaire Row" and got to see Manny Pacquiao's house - along with a number of other big executives from the city.  The population of the Philippines is growing with a huge business being "call centers".  Because the Philippines has the 3rd most English-speaking people of any country in the world (to US and India) - companies have started these "call centers".  They can pay a cheaper wage to local folks and they will have an English-speaking person on-board.  The food chain - "Jollibee" beats McDonalds 3 to 1 in hamburger sales -- the only fast food restaurant that can beat McDonalds locally.

I arrived back at the hotel around 1:30 pm this afternoon.  I walked around Makati for a little while and then attended a 3pm mass.  It was an outdoor Catholic church.  Tons of folks were in attendance (90% Christian here - most being Roman Catholic).  A little warm - but needed the good vibes.

After Mass, I took a leisurely stroll back to my hotel.  Rested a couple hours and have been doing some research ever since for Thailand.  1 week from today -- just about at this exact time on Sunday evening -- I'll be returning to the US.  Let's make the next 6 days count!

No comments:

Post a Comment