Wednesday, October 31, 2012

New Zealand 2012 - Day #12

Wednesday, October 31st

It's Halloween.  I'm in a foreign country.  What can I do to make the day a little bit more scary?  Answer: Stand on top of a 142ft platform overlooking the Kawarau River and jump off.

Ahhhh-hah!!!!!!

This day ranks as one of the most ballistic days of my life.  (You're gonna do what???  Just stay on my wing Cougar --- let me tell you the story)

So, although I would consider myself fairly conservative, I also have a bit of a wild side that enjoys an adrenaline rush or two.  With this in mind, 5 of us today took a 25 minute nerve-racking bus ride to the site of the original bungee jump -- The Kawarua Bridge.  This is where bungee jumping got its commercial beginning  (That's right Ice Man -- 'pat on the shoulder' ---  I AM a little dangerous).

Our bus was scheduled to depart at 11:30am.  We walked into town from our hotel a couple hours early to grab some breakfast.  I was freaking out upon wake-up this morning.  For some reason, this whole "jump off a bridge thing" hasn't been sitting well in my stomach. 

No worries mate.  It definitely helped that 5 of us went together.  We walked over to the booking location when we got into town.  There was a big board stating:  "Free pictures (otherwise $50) of your bungee jump when wearing a Halloween costume".  We learned of this information about 1 hr prior to departure.  What do you do? Answer:  You go buy a $10 pirate custom (complete with hat, eye patch, vest, and hook) and proceed to jump 143ft over water in costume.  (At that speed and distance, sounds a little bit too aggressive -----  Yeah, I guess when I see something I really want - I go right after it)

I will say I have no affinity to dressing as a pirate -- it just happened to be the cheapest costume in the discount store across the street from our pickup spot.  Actually - even while writing this - I can't believe I jumped with a pirates hat and eye patch on (and it didn't come off).

So, we get to the place, sign some things I preferred not to read, weighed ourselves twice (once for confirmation), and were led to the middle of the Kawarua Bridge.  There just happened to be a couple dudes bungying naked upon our arrival.  What???  This sport tends to attract the wilder side of life.  I said I had a wild side -- just not that wild.  After not watching, but watching what was going on, we were each handed a harness based on our weight.  1 was number 4 of 5 from our group.  I got to see my buddies make the leap before me -- this helped with the confidence level a bit.  They sit you down on this platform and wrap towels around your ankles and secure your attachment to the bungee.  Your feet are completely bundled together and you cannot walk -- only scoot. 

Next - the moment of truth.  They help you to your feet and ask you to "scoot" up to the edge.  I have one hand on the edge of the bridge as I'm doing this.  I get to within about 6 inches of the edge with the toes of my shoes (I'm thinking this is about far enough).  They say --- "keep scooting out".  I continue another 3 inches.  They tell me again --- "keep scooting out".  (I'm thinking this is no longer a good idea - try putting your feet together and effectively moving your whole body to within the absolute lip of a 142ft drop).  I continue to scoot out and my toes are now slightly over the edge.  I see the river below -- my hand still death-gripped to the bridge.

Then, they tell me to release my hand from the bridge and turn to the right (You gotta let go man - you gotta let it go) --- they want to take my picture (OK -- whatever -- this "picture" is not that important --- so I half-heartily looked to my right).  Then, they tell me to look straight ahead and raise my arms above my head.  (seriously - just writing this right now is making my stomach turn).  With my arms fully extended above my head and my gaze straight-forward, they count backwards 3  --  2 ---  1 --- JUMP.

WHHHOOOOOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! I let out some guttural noises as I plummeted my way downward. The water is getting closer, closer -- then WOW -- I'm going upwards again. Then, another rush towards the water. Then up again, then a shorter surge to the water. I DID IT. I was hanging upside down about 20 ft or so from the water. I figured if I fell out of the harness -- I'd still make it. The blood is rushing to my head -- but the feeling is o-so-good. They lower me down to a raft on the river and plunge into the boat. They ask me to look up for my final photo. All I can think
 about at this moment is: "That was AWESOME"

 
My "not so efficient" look to the right
 

 
Yahtzee!

 
HEELLLPPPP MEEEEE!

 
Nice form

 
I'm free falling

 
Wow - I'm still alive

 
Let me off this thing

 
SOLID

So, if bungee jumping was not enough, upon arrival back into Queenstown - we had a couple beers and then met up with our jet boat excursion at 3:30pm.  The Shot Over Jet is the most aggressive jet boat ride in the world --- we would make this happen today as well. 

I wasn't nervous for this - just excited.  We caught a 15 minute bus out to the canyons where the excursion would begin.  Awesome.  We were going at speeds up to 80km/hr at times - coming within inches of sheer rock cliffs.  We would do 360 turns in the middle of the canyon -- it was unbelievable.  This is another "must do" in New Zealand. 

I could go on -- but need to get some shut-eye.  Just know it was about 30 minutes of the most aggressive boating one could ever encounter. 

ALL GOOD from the Land of the Kiwi.

 
Shotover jet team

 
Excellent!

 
Not a bad Halloween

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, man! Incredible scenery, but I've been waiting to read about THIS day since you left!

    ReplyDelete