Saturday, October 20, 2012

New Zealand 2012 - Day #1

Saturday, October 20th

Nice to be back traveling again.  It's been about 20 months since my last international experience.  Today, I begin my blog from Terminal #2 of LAX airport --- just outside Gate #26.  At 11:45pm local time this evening, I depart for Auckland, New Zealand to begin a 17 day trip to the land down under.

My buddy Greg and I will be flying out tonight, doing a marathon next weekend, and touring the north and south islands of New Zealand.

Today has been crazy and fast-paced.  I'm just starting to settle in -- but it always takes me a little while before I can feel my shoulders start to relax.  I think this is the reason I enjoy travelling so much -- it brings me back to the basics.

To begin this morning, I completed my last day of work in my current position with my company.  Upon my return, I'll be starting in a new role.  Things are going well on the job front.  Just keeping the head down and working hard -- hoping this moves me in the right direction.

After completing work at 2pm - I drove home and then took a taxi to the Denver airport.  My 5:38pm flight to LAX went great.  I sat down on the aisle seat in a 3 seated row.  There was 1 lady (60+ years old) sitting by the window - the middle seat empty between us.  While getting my stuff situated, I placed my New Zealand tour book on the middle seat between us.  The lady turned to me and said:  "Are you heading home or going on holiday?"   It turns out she was from New Plymouth, New Zealand - a small community on the western coast of the north island.  We proceeded to talk for the next 2-1/2 hours.  Unbelievable.  I can't believe I sat besides a women from New Zealand who was flying back to Auckland this evening.

Upon arrival in LAX, I met up with my buddy Greg and we had some dinner and drinks in the same restaurant that we sat at before our Sydney, Australia flight 12 years ago.

I've included a couple pics as a remembrance.

Gotta get going --- here's to the next 2 weeks.  Talk to you later from the Land Down Under.  Keep the faith!


 
Unique Wall -- how I remembered this spot

 
Restaurant from 2000 Australia trip

3 comments:

  1. Kyle - I am so glad you will be blogging on this trip. Thanks for taking time so that we can share in your adventures. Travel safe - and have a great time.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to have you back bro - safe travels!

    KB1

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you will be blogging on your trip! Can't wait to "read all about it"! : )

    ReplyDelete