Friday, February 25, 2022

Day #7 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #7 - Everest BaseCamp 


Friday, February 25, 2022


Itinerary- Namche Bazar - Zero Day

Elevation:  11,319’


It’s 4:45pm - I’m currently sitting on a cushioned bench seat - laying against a cushioned backrest - in a warm, stove-heated lounge in the Mountain View Hotel in Namche Bazar (elevation 11,319’). This is as close to euphoric bliss one can get while hiking the Everest BaseCamp Trek. 


The lounge is filled with many of my co-trekkers, our Sherpa team, our guide - the atmosphere is warm, inviting, inclusive, friendly - all good stuff.   


It’s been a great Zero Day - but it wasn’t all rest and recovery.  We started the day with breakfast at 7am.  We then got our bags ready so the porters could move our gear to our new hotel.  We left for an exploratory trek at 8:30am.  


We first took in the market - filled with fresh fruits, vegetables, and meat.  We then trekked up the hillside to a location of an old airport that once served Namche Bazar.  I mentioned this is a Zero Day - meaning we gained no positive distance on our approach to Everest BaseCamp.  However, unlike on the AT trail where I generally bellied up on Zero Days with little to no exertion - we actually climbed 1,000’ today and probably walked 3-4 miles.  In the mountains - it’s often a strategy to hike high and sleep low to aid in the overall acclimation process.  We actually hiked to an elevation where we’ll be sleeping tomorrow night and then descended to 11,319’ (where we slept last night)


After the hillside trek - we went down to Sagarmatha National Park - and visited a museum - walking around for about an hour.  It was snowing at this time - so our visibility was nonexistent to the mountains that surrounded us.  This was unfortunate - as the museum location was supposed to be the first view of Mt Everest.  No worries- we’ll have plenty more opportunities.  


After the museum, we headed back to the hotel, got checked in, and had lunch with a hot cup of lemon tea (which is becoming addictive).   Lunches/dinners have consisted mostly of rice/noodle dishes with some cooked vegetables. It’s been really good for the most part.  Breakfast is usually some kind of oatmeal with eggs/bread.   


After lunch, Greg and I went into the village so I could get a replacement trekking pole.  $30 for a new set - the prices here are incredibly favorable.  The trekking pole set that broke cost $180.  Hopefully these will make it through the trip. We then went into a cafe and joined a bunch of our fellow hikers. We enjoyed a cup of tea and a brownie - and caught up on some of the worldly news that was on TV.  


A few more pictures and another leisurely stroll through the village - we headed back to the hotel.  It’s 5:15pm now and I’m in the lounge.  Dinner will be served around 6:30pm. 


Tomorrow we have a longer trek (9miles) - but only gain about 1,400’.  I’m ready to get it going.  Last night I slept incredibly well for 6 hours until 3am - but was dozing on/off the rest of the night until 6am.  I had a little headache when I awoke.  I took a couple of ibuprofen.  I haven’t taken the Diamox yet - but I’m monitoring things and can start this medication at any time.  


I’m feeling good with the legs and overall body.  My biggest concerns right now are handling the altitude and the cold.  I get headaches on occasion- so my morning headache could be a number of things.  It’s just so hard to pinpoint - and I’m always battling the fears of getting sick.  I just need to be aware - and stay on top of things.  I did really well on the hike today - I’m certainly not the fastest guy out there - but I remain consistent.  For me - my success lies in more of a mental game than being a physical specimen.  


Stay relaxed - stay focused - enjoy the moment.  This is what I keep telling myself. 


To good health and good strength!  Goodnight from Namche Bazar!   


Namche Bazar

Acclimation Hike


Acclimation Hike


Resting on the way to abandoned airport


New set of trekking poles


Market - fruit stands


Market - fresh meat


Layout of Khumba Valley 


Namche Bazar 


Namche Bazar


Museum entrance


Coffee shop in Namche Bazar


Lounge at Mountain View Hotel


Steve with one of the many dogs in the village


Mountain View Hotel


23 walking hours to Everest BaseCamp 


Old abandoned airport


Rest break on acclimation hike


Broken trekking pole


Lounge at Comfort Inn



No comments:

Post a Comment