Sunday, February 20, 2022

Day #2 - Everest BaseCamp

 Day #2 - Everest BaseCamp 


Sunday, February 20, 2022


Coming to you live from Rm#606 at the Hotel Moonlight in Kathmandu, Nepal.  It’s 9:30pm local time - and I’m one tired fella.  


Today turned out really well - just a LONG travel day (26+ hours) My overnight flight into Doha, Qatar went smoothly. We had a 2-1/2 hour layover before catching our Kathmandu flight.  Doha has an incredible airport.  Often voted as the Best Airport in the world - tons of shops, lounges, and technology made it appear almost like it was a shopping mall - not an airport. 


We hopped on our 4hr, 15min flight to Kathmandu.  This leg went by quickly. I read my John Grisham book - Sooley.  I’m nearly half way through the book in a day.  We jumped ahead a couple more time zones and arrived into Kathmandu, Nepal at roughly 4pm local time.  We had to get a visa on arrival which took some time. We then met our buddy Liam who was there to pick us up with a couple Kathmandu porters that will be joining us on the trek. 


Sunday is a work day in Kathmandu.  There was a bunch of traffic on our way back to the hotel.  Streets were littered with motor bikes, cars, people darting out everywhere, no real order - basically chaos.  There’s no way renting a car would be a good idea here coming from the US.  Pictures to come later  


We got to the Moonlight Hotel around 5:30pm.  I grabbed a shower and then met the group for some dinner/drinks on the 1st floor of the hotel.  10 of the 20 group members arrived today.  It was great meeting everybody.  I’ll expand on the dynamics more tomorrow.  I’m actually sharing a room with a guy named Warren - who I just met 1-hr ago.   He’s an older guy from Richmond, Virginia - works in real estate, has a couple kids he hikes with.  I don’t know much about him yet.  


After being up for about 30 hours - I’m looking forward to some solid sleep tonight.  Tomorrow is a rest day in Kathmandu.  The guides will go through our gear to make sure we’re not missing anything - but it’s mostly a day of leisure. 


That’s all I got for tonight - gonna pass out.  Good night from Kathmandu.  



Flying into Doha


Doha airport 


Hotel Moonlight


Doha airport


Hotel Moonlight


Sunrise coming into Doha 


Hotel room


Hotel room


Not a bad place







No comments:

Post a Comment