Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Africa 2015 - Day #5

The "picture" we had been waiting for

Tired - and thankful

The fellas

close-up wildebeest

We did not see this today -- just a cool shot

Some great scenery on the run

More views

Great views during the run

Saturday, June 20th

Marathon Day!  Up for an early breakfast around 7am and then a transfer to Lakeside Lodge at 8am.  Marathon was set to start at 9am.  We went through the normal pregame ritual - bathroom, gear check, etc.  We snagged a couple photos at the start line and then got in line for the start of the race.  About 8:55am - we hear an announcement:  "We're going to be delaying the race start about 15 minutes while the rangers get into position".  We later learned that they could not locate one of the lions and had a helicopter fly overhead - with rangers walking into the bush with rifles in hand until they found the elusive cat.  Note -- The Big 5 Marathon is run completely exposed to the dangerous safari animals in the reserve.  We learned there were spotters/markers on all the big game - elephants, rhinos, and lios to secure our safety during the run.  Previous runs have been delayed as well until the rangers were able to secure the course completely.

About 9:15am, another announcement:  "We are ready for the start - we will start the marathon in 2 minutes".  9:20am - Saturday, June 20th - the 11th annual Big 5 Marathon began.

To get started, I knew the course - I just drove the whole thing yesterday.  I knew the first 2 miles consisted of a significant climb - I took it slow - walking up most of the severe slope.  The first 10K was mostly uphill to a turnaround.  I wasn't feeling so good (stomach uneasy, out of breadth, legs heavy).  It's OK I tell myself - I'll work it out.  After the 10K mark, we were able to see the strong runners coming back.  Greg and Liam were strong today - already several minutes ahead of me. 

Miles 6-10 would be my best ---- downhill (but with sketchy footing as the trail was filled with stones and gullies).  Unfortuantely, I could tell at this time that today was not my day.  I just never could get into that sweet spot.  I knew I had to be buckled in for a long one.  Around Mile 12 - we headed down "the hill".  The "hill" was a 1-2 mile stretch with such a steep incline/decline that one could barely run down, yet alone run up it.  I took my time on the steep sections headed down - my half marathon time was around 2:30-2:40.  Not great - but OK for me on this terrain. 

Miles 12-18 -- the sand.  Entabeni Game Reserve is made up of the upper escarpment and the lower escarpment (above "the hill" and below "the hill").  The lions on the game reserve were only on the lower escarpment.  Therefore, during miles 12-18, around every corner, in my mind, there could be a lion waiting ahead.  In addition to this mental hurdle, these 6 miles were like running on a beach for long stretches.  The sand was very deep and inconsistent, proving to be difficult and frustrating at times.  Note - there were cutoffs in the race:  25.5k @ 4hr-15min, 31.5K @ 5hr-15min, full marathon @ 7 hrs.  The first cut was at the base of "the hill" going up.  I made this with no problem - around 3hr-15min or so.  Upon hitting "the hill", I decided to take it slow.  Mile 18 was around 35 minutes for me.  I made the 5hr-15min cut by about 30 minutes. 

OK - done with "the hill".  Let's get going.  Wait - hamstring is cramping up!  I discovered that for whatever reason - my hamstrings were going to lock up after every 50m I ran.  What do I do?  Accept it.  Meaning - I basically walked 80% of the final 8 miles of the run.  OK though - I had my head up.  How many times in my future will I be walking in the middle of the African bush amongst some of the deadliest and majestic animals on earth.  I taked with a guy from Hong Kong a couple miles to pass the time.  I gazed out at some wildebeest in the distance for a time.  6hr-36min after I started early this morning, I crossed the finish line of the Big 5 Marathon - completing something that was started back in 1997.  I have now completed marathons on all 7 continents in the world.  Starting with the St. Louis Marathon in 1997 (since run 26 other states), I then ran the Great Wall Marathon in China in 2008 (running on the Great Wall), then the Inca Trail Ultra in Peru in 2010 (finishing at Machu Picchu), then Athens Marathon in 2010 (where the marathon started), next the Antarctica Marathon in 2011 (boat ride to the most southern continent in the world), then Auckland New Zealand in 2012 (running across the Harbor Bridge), and now - ending the adventure by running through a safari in South Africa in 2015.

Greg and Liam were waiting for me at the finish line.  They had both just completed the 7 continents as well.  What a great feeling - and especially more memorable to complete this with a couple great buddies.  Thankful, relieved, accomplished, blessed - many emotions going through me.  I was disappointed with my time - with Liam (26th) and Greg (48th) both finishing impressively, my 118th place finish out of 141 total finishers - was not something to write home about.  But, 3 days post race - I'll take it.

Luckily, I did not feel sick at the finish.  We were able to take some photos, grab some food, and even get a 15-minute massage.  That photo at the finish, that's the one.  That's the one I have been waiting for.  I feel very lucky to have the opportunity to travel and the physical ability to participate in different athletic events.  So many things can happen along the way - thankful and fortunate to have things work out. 

Marathon day ended with a dinner at Ravineside with the whole group - followed by an adult beverage or two.  The night ended relatively early as exhaustion had set in.  You only have so many days in your life - today will be a day I remember forever.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you, Kyle! What an accomplishment! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete