Saturday, February 26, 2011

Antarctica - Day #6

First night sunset over the Beagle Channel

The "Bridge" - where the captain runs the controls

5th level outside deck


The bar/lounge area


Outside track around Level #4

Friday, February 25th

We made it through the night without getting sick. Bonus!! The ship is currently rocking pretty aggressively from side to side. It's extremely difficult to even walk doen the hall (as your body bangs off the walls).

Kurt and I headed to breakfast around 8:30am. They had waste bags placed all along the railing leading up and down the stairs. (Seasickness is high on the communication topics). The breakfast was a buffet. I filled my plate and went to sit down. The dining hall is on the 2nd level - basically right at sea level. I looked up through the port holes. You could see the sky, then there were huge waves, and finally just water. After about 3 bites, I decided that breakfast wasn't in the cards for me today. I headed back to the room to lay down.

Today's itinerary involved several seminars spaced a couple hours apart. These were not mandatory - just informational if you were interested in attending. After a few minutes recovery in the room, I went to the talk concerning albatross and petrel birds. I started feeling better and remained stable the rest of the day.

I went to 3 other seminars total on Friday: seals, history of Antarctica, and current-day Antarctica. These talks were interesting and enabled us to pick-up a few ideas before reaching land.

Today was all about getting your sea legs, resting, and keeping hydrated between meals. A few people had a glass of wine or a beer, but the atmosphere is overwhelmingly focused, mixed in with some anxiety of the unknown. Midday, I took a walk around the outside track on Level #4 to get some fresh air. This was a little scary as you were walking next to the bannister. I had my hands on the inside wall the entire time. Kurt and I even went up to this small workout room and biked/ran for about 30 minutes to keep the legs going.

The night ended in the bar/lounge with a game of Yahtzee. Tomorrow we're set to hit land by early afternoon. It's about to get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment