Monday, February 21, 2011

Antarctica - Day #2

Monday, February 21st

It's 9pm here in Buenos Aires. Kurt, Greg, Liam and myself arrived safely into Argentina this morning. My flight was 10 hours, 28 minutes from D.C. - landing around 10am local time. We are currently 3 hours ahead of US central standard time. (6pm on Monday, Feb. 21st in St. Louis right now). Temperatures are around 80 degrees, as this is the end of the summer here in the southern hemisphere.

Embarrassing as it is to say, I'm currently sitting in my hotel room at the Marriott Hotel - by myself. I feel like garbage (well, actually - I'm getting better). What's my problem? Who knows - major sore throat, cough, general weakness. I'm taking antibiotics and getting some rest. All will be better tomorrow. Kurt, Greg, and Liam are out to dinner with the group. I had room service.

We got to the hotel about 1pm today after meeting up with our Marathon Tours group. There's about 100 total people on the tour. This was a strict number, as you can only have 100 people on land in Antarctica at the same time. This has recently changed. They used to take 2 cruise ships with 100+ people per ship. The new regulations cut the trip size in half.

There's a ton of great people on the tour, 3 who we had met on our trip to Machu Picchu. The majority of folks are from the US - all different ages from all different areas.

After checking into our rooms, some of the group met up for a 4pm training run. Kurt, Greg, and Liam participated - I didn't. The group then met up for dinner, departing at 7pm.

This is painful for me to write, as I do not like being weak. just keeping it real. Tomorrow is a new day. Pictures to come - I promise. Good night from BA.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! Feel better and we can't wait to hear about the rest of the journey.

    ReplyDelete